Skip to Questions

Trine Answers - Get in the know.


I am an engineer major what computer should I buy?

I was wondering if we needed to upload the cad systems onto our own computers, if so I know that some Cad systems are verry finicky. So i want to know that the computer that I get is going to work for the classes that I am going to be taking. Thanks
Last Updated: Aug 13, 2015  |  132 Views
Topics: Help Desk

Was this helpful? 0   0



The Engineering department has various computer labs equipped with the software required for your classes. Most software does not come with a download or student license, so you will not need to or be able to work on personal devices unless you purchase the full software license. This can be expensive and why Trine provides the access to the labs. 

We recommend the following for all departments for use, but you can always purchase higher-end hardware to meet your comfort level or individual needs:

Intel i5 or higher processor


SSD (128 or 256, depending on preference)

If you plan on gaming or purchasing any CAD software, a separate, adequate video card is recommended per the software recommendations. 

Trine provides personal licensing and downloads for OFfice 2013 and up to 1TB or storage on OneDrive, so a large HD or external storage is not necessary while you are enrolled at Trine. 

If you have any other quesitons please contact the Help Desk.

Thank you,

Trine IT Help Desk


Answered by IT Help DeskBookmark and Share

Other Answers / Comments (0)

    Browse by Popular Topics

    2018 Back to School  –  Academic Calendar  –  Academics  –  Academic Technology  –  Admissions  –  Archives  –  Back to School  –  Bookstore  –  Business Office  –  Campus  –  Campus Operations  –  Career Services  –  Clinical Education  –  Digital Publishing Center  –  Financial Aid  –  Help Desk  –  Hours  –  Housing  –  Library  –  Mail Center  –  Maintenance  –  Parking  –  Registrar  –  Research  –  SOAR  –  Student Life  –  Troubleshooting  –  WiFI  –  Wireless  
    View All Topics