Q. How much recording time does a Canon Vixia HD Camcorder that I borrowed from the LINK have?
Up to 12 hours with the built-in 32GB flash storage. Additional storage can be inserted into the two SD Card flash drives.
Your available recording times are depending on your recording mode:
LP (5Mbps) 12 hours 15 minutes
SP (7Mbps) 9 hours 35 minutes
XP+ (12Mbps) 5 hours 45 minutes
FXP (17Mbps) 4 hours 10 minutes - Allows 1920 x 1080 Full HD Recording
MXP (24Mbps) 2 hours 55 minutes - Allows 1920 x 1080 Full HD Recording
To modify your recording mode, while the camera is on and in camera mode:
1) Press FUNC
2) Press MENU
3) Select the 2nd Tab (has icon that looks like film strips)
4) Scroll down to Recording Mode
5) Select the value on the right (should be one of the values listed above - like LP, SP, etc.)
6) Choose the recording mode you like. As the recording quality increases, the amount of time you will have to film decreases. For most videos, LP or SP has decent quality and maximizes recording time.
Battery life with Canon Vixia camcorders are dependent upon the settings you are you using to record with.
The image below indicates the battery life associated with each setting.
- Sitting above the FDR-AX100 at around $2500 with 4k is the PXW-X70 which is considered a professional broadcast camera. It offers SDI out as well as built in XLR balanced audio support. Otherwise, it is similar to the FDR-AX100. This camera will be released this summer.