Q. How do I download an EBSCO or Ebrary Ebook to my Kindle Fire?
These instructions are for downloading EBSCOhost or Ebrary books onto a Kindle Fire. To download Overdrive ebooks to a Kindle Fire, click here.
In order to download an ebook from EBSCOhost or Ebrary to your Kindle Fire, you will need three things:
1) An Adobe ID account
2) Adobe Digital Editions downloaded onto a PC and logged in with your Adobe ID
3) The Aldiko Reader app installed onto your Kindle Fire (instructions below)
Kindle Fire Setup (one-time setup)
- Install the Aldiko Reader app
- Go to the Settings wheel in the top right corner
- Select More....
- Select Device
- Scroll down to the option for "Allow Installation of Applications from Unknown Sources" and turn this On.
- Open your Kindle web browser and type in the following link:
Note: The bit.ly link will open this webpage: http://aldiko.zendesk.com/entries/402881-download-the-latest-version-of-the-aldiko-book-reader-application
- Look for the .apk link at the bottom of the screen and tap it to begin the download.
- Tap the menu icon at the bottom of your Kindle screen and then choose Downloads. You will see a file called aldiko-standard-200160-1.apk or similar. Select the file and you will be prompted to install the application.
- Open the installed Aldiko app by going to your Apps folder to verify the installation.
Computer setup (one-time event):
- Create an Adobe ID if you don’t already have one: https://www.adobe.com/account/account-information.html#myadobeid
If this link does not work, go to Adobe.com, Select Sign In, and Create an Account.
- Install Adobe Digital Editions on your computer: http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions . You should be prompted to enter your Adobe ID. This is the account you just created. If for some reason you are not prompted, you can still Authorize Adobe Digital Editions with your account later.
Download your ebook to the Kindle Fire:
- From your computer, download the ebrary or Ebooks on Ebsco book you wish to view on your Kindle Fire. You should see a .acsm file being downloaded in your browser window.
- Open Adobe Digital Editions to view the book.
- Attach your Kindle Fire to your computer via a USB cable. The screen on your Kindle should read “You can now transfer files from your computer to Kindle.” If it does not, unplug and plug back in. (Note: not all USB cables are created equal, so if your Operating System does not recognize the device, try a different cable).
- In Adobe Digital Editions, make sure you are in the "library view" which allows you to view all the books you have downloaded. After attaching the USB cable, you will see your KINDLE device in the bottom left pane of the Adobe Digital Editions interface.
- You will be asked to authorize your Kindle as a device you wish to read materials on. Agree to the authorization.
- Drag and drop your book from Adobe Digital Editions Library to your Kindle.
- Unplug your Kindle.
- Open the Aldiko app on your Kindle: you will see the downloaded book(s) listed under "shelf view" and "list view."
Need help? LINK staff is happy to help set up your Kindle to read library books for free! Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.